Men and women recovering from breast cancer surgery and treatment face a number of challenges to include pain, fatigue, scarring, lymphedema, muscle weakness, movement restrictions and all of the emotional issues that arise when dealing with a serious illness. Primetime Physical therapy is honored to offer breast cancer aftercare to assist patients in their recovery process.
As a Certified Lymphedema Therapist, Shyla will customize an aftercare program to include the following in order to allow patients to return to their normal routine as quickly as possible:
- Manual therapy to reduce scar tissue and improve range of motion
- Improve sensation and relieve nerve pain
- Postural training
- Shoulder exercises to help prevent Lymphedema and restore full function
- Conditioning exercises to restore strength and combat fatigue
- Patient/caregiver education on scar management and the prevention of Lymphedema
Lymphedema treatments include:
- Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD)
- Wrapping with short stretch bandages and foam to reduce swelling.
- Scar tissue management
- Exercise to facilitate lymph flow
- Fitting for Compression Garments
- Establishment of Self Care Program
- Compression pumps, if indicated, with medical necessity – usually in conjunction with MLD